Credit: Jill Field, 1980
Maitland, Nova Scotia
Maitland was named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia in 1828 .The First Nations name for this district was "Menesatung" meaning "healing waters". In the nineteenth century fortunes were made in shipbuilding and the sale of lumber and today one can still admire the stately homes and lovely farmhouses built at the time. This rich historic past was recognized in 1995 when Maitland was declared Nova Scotia's first Heritage Conservation District.